Contact point: Fabrizio Fontaneto, email@example.com
Duration: 6 months with possibility of recruitment
Working environment description:
The calibration lab of von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI) owns a leading position in providing high quality calibrations for laboratory and industrial testing instrumentation. Its methodology is considered an industrial standard and, as such, it is subjected to quality system.
As calibration lab technician, you will be asked to carry out in full autonomy calibration experiments by respecting a well-established procedure.
As responsible of laboratory operations, you will be in charge of defining and respecting the facility planning and its maintenance schedule as well as of strictly following the whole set of procedures identified in the quality system.
A training phase is foreseen which will be carried by experienced researchers on a daily base.
- Direct reporting on a daily base to the manager of the activity (Fabrizio Fontaneto)
- Carry out calibration experiments, strictly respecting the operative procedures.
- Strictly respect all the other procedures belonging to the quality system:
- Item reception
- Item shipment
- Item mounting
- Logs update
- Inventory update
- Labelling of components
- Test-bench instrumentation calibration
- Filing of certificates and technical sheets
- Test-bench maintenance schedule
- Respect planning.
- Ordering and maintaining stocks and resources.
- Keeping an up-to-date inventory of laboratory equipment and tools.
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Ensure proper organization and tidiness of lab spaces.
- If needed:
- Interact with customers for the definition of the calibration planning.
- Interact with customers when anomalies are encountered.
- Interact with customers when further information is required (e.g. mounting procedure for a certain item, material compatibility checks, etc..).
Requirements and Qualifications
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess the knowledge, training, experience and abilities required:
- Diploma: technical secondary education diploma, second cycle or higher in electro-mechanics or equivalent.
- Experience: 2 – 3 years of experience in the field of sensors and diagnostic equipment handling
- Ability to respect detailed procedures is an asset.
- Flexibility in working hours is an asset: depending on the laboratory needs, the operator must be ready to adapt his/her badge in time according to the facility workload and operations.
- Installing precision instrumentation including pressure transducers, thermocouples, and precision electronics. Verifying the correct operation of sensors and actuators necessary for each experiment.
- Hands on electromechanical experience with laboratory equipment / hardware for reparation and troubleshooting: basic understanding of electronics and mechanics is essential.
- Ability to operate test equipment and wind tunnels, including operation of high-pressure lines and vessels.
- Understanding of technical drawings, dimensioning, and tolerances is required. Experience in mechanical design and technical drawing (by CAD software) is an asset.
- Computer Skills: Basic computer skills, including email, internet, and spreadsheets for reporting and basic mathematical calculus. Basic/proficient knowledge of CAD software (such as CATIA, SOLIDWORKS, etc.) is an asset.
- Ability to work in a team and in an international working environment.
- Language: French is required. Good working knowledge of English (oral and written) is an asset.
The motivated candidate will have the chance to broaden her/his competences on a wide range of advanced measurement techniques used in fluid dynamics research, being recognized as an expert in the calibration and the operation of laboratory and industrial testing instrumentation.
She or he might be in charge of complete test campaigns to support VKI’s internal research and contract activities. At this extend, the candidate will participate to the definition and assembly of the experimental set-up and will work closely with researchers.