The von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI) has been founded in 1956 by Theodore von Karman as an international center for the study of fluid dynamics. What began as an experiment in international post-graduate training, has developed into a widely recognized center of excellence in fluid dynamics, combining education and research into “training in research through research” in a truly international and intercultural environment. In this respect the Institute occupies today a unique place in between the academic world and the industrial world.
The synergy between high level education and both fundamental and applied research creates knowledge and value to the benefit of students, researchers and a wide community of customers be it from industry (such as many companies from the space and aeronautic sector) or institutional research programs (such as ESA and the European Commission).
About this function
The von Karman Institute consists of a group, of close to 200 highly motivated and driven researchers, technicians, students and supporting staff members. The HR Manager takes care of all personnel related matters and defines HR related procedures and policies.
The HR Manager reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Payroll administration
- Staff contract administration
- Performing benefits administration
- Performing salary reviews
- Maintenance and improvement of the job classification system
- Maintenance and improvement of the staff evaluation system
- Develop training plans for the personnel in close collaboration with the different team leaders
- Create and document personnel related policies and procedures
- Overseeing recruitment efforts for all personnel, including writing and placing job adds
- Assisting in job interviews
- Conducting new employee orientations and employee relations counseling
- Overseeing exit interviews
- Proven experience as HR Manager
- Fluent in Dutch, French and English
- Good knowledge of employment legislation and regulations
- Good knowledge of data analysis and reporting
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- University degree in human resources, law or equivalent by experience
- Experience with HR in a Scientific research environment is a plus
- Experience with the SDWORX payroll system is a plus
What do we offer?
- A competitive salary with extra-legal benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Being part of a research institute that is internationally recognized as one of the main players in its domain
- Working closely with an international team of young and dynamic researchers