The von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI) has been founded in 1956 by Theodore von Karman as an international center for the study of fluid dynamics. What began as an experiment in international post-graduate training, has developed into a widely recognized center of excellence in fluid dynamics, combining education and research into “training in research through research” in a truly international and intercultural environment. In this respect the Institute occupies today a unique place in between the academic world and the industrial world.
The synergy between high level education and both fundamental and applied research creates knowledge and value to the benefit of students, researchers and a wide community of customers be it from industry (such as many companies from the space and aeronautic sector) or institutional research programs (such as ESA and the European Commission).
About this function
The von Karman Institute consists of a group, of close to 200 highly motivated and driven researchers, technicians, students and supporting staff members.
The Accountant creates the transactions in the accounting software in line with the legislation in order to create an accurate view on the balance sheet, income statement, cash flow and equity situation of the Institute.
The Accountant is part of the accounting and financial project control team and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Registers all cash and non-cash transactions by making use of the accounting software
- Organizes payments of employees, grants, suppliers, social security and taxes
- Verifies consistency between group insurance and hospitalization insurance invoices and related salary withholding
- Creates the monthly VAT declarations including the listings of Intra-Community transactions
- Collects customer payments and maintains the aging list
- Monitors the consistency of all accounts
- Makes the adjustments to the accounts for the year and intermediate closing (depreciations, cash adjustment, stock valuation, advances to income conversion, revenue recognition…)
- Generates monthly actuals versus budget reports for expenses, capital expenditures, depreciations and income
- Generates the yearly closing reports and discusses with CFO and external financial auditor
- Works closely with the financial project controller on revenue recognition (handling of project advances, invoices and income)
- Level of knowledge: Bachelor in accounting or equivalent by experience
- Good knowledge of the Belgian accounting standards
- Knowledge of VAT legislation
- Knowledge of data analysis and reporting
- Advanced MS Excel knowledge
- Knowledge of Sage Bob 50 accounting software is an advantage
- Fluency in 3 languages: Dutch, French, English
WHAT DO WE OFFER
- A competitive salary with extra-legal benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Being part of a research institute that is internationally recognized as one of the main players in its domain
- Working closely with an international team of young and dynamic researchers
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation to the CFO, Mr. Bernard Schaballie (email@example.com)